A Step-by-Step Guide to Building an Online Grocery App
In the current situation of the pandemic, people are having difficulty getting the necessities they require as supermarkets and food stores are shut as part of the shutdown and now they are using Online Grocery App.
Additionally, health is an issue for consumers as they want to be secure and clear of crowds when shopping.
This is why it’s an ideal time to look into the development of an Online Grocery App service for groceries that ensures that every need is readily available at the user’s access.
Check out some fascinating statistics before the development of the Online Grocery App:
- The reports show that before the outbreak of COVID-19, online grocery sales made up 4.3 per cent of the market for groceries in 2020. The ratio is expected to rise to 5.4 per cent by the end of 2022 and then reach 10.7 per cent by 2024 before reaching 13.5 per cent by 2025.
- With an increase of 24% in CAGR which is the largest, the world’s online food market is forecast to reach $250 billion by 2025.
- Additionally, according to App store trends downloading numbers of shopping apps topped the 106 million mark at the start of April. The reports reveal how the Walmart grocery app racked up nearly 54,000 downloads per day!
Based on the statistics above and the above statistics, you can be sure that this business will continue growing.
People are getting used to online delivery of groceries, and the trend of buying food items online is expected to last even after things are “back to normal” after the pandemic.
Let’s begin by defining the basic flow of the application.
Functioning of an Online Grocery App
Here’s the flow of an application that is typical for grocery delivery:
- A new user sign-ups to the app by entering the necessary information. Existing users can sign up to access the app.
- Utilize your search or category features to locate a specific product in the store.
- Add item to cart/wish list
- Select the address at which food items are being taken.
- Pay the online payment by using the gateway you prefer
- The app will send the order confirmation email to the buyer.
- The admin is notified of the request and forwards it to the store’s manager.
- The manager of the store creates the order and informs the courier partner that they are to take the order.
- Customers and the admin are kept informed on the status of the delivery.
- Once the package has been received Customers can leave ratings or reviews through the app.
Steps to Develop the On-Demand Online Grocery App
1. Finalize the Business Model
Your app can serve either of the models listed below:
This model is a partnership together with grocery shops in the area. The app will list listed grocery stores that are registered to the user and the user may choose to purchase from any of these stores.
The app functions as a facilitator and acts to act as an intermediary between a customer and the store’s owner.
Different stores can sign up and begin selling their goods through your app.
This requires an efficient online grocery store platform as the assignment of parcels to the appropriate courier personnel and handling delivery professionals must be managed via your mobile app.
2. Features of the Online Grocery App
Here’s a summary of the fundamental features your mobile application should have.
It could be designed to include the appearance of three dashboards or panels.
- Customers Panel
- Store Owner Panel
The functionalities that are to be included in Online Grocery App:
New customers have to sign up using the application. Already registered users can log into the app by entering their basic information.
2. Profile Management:
To update store details like name, address, contact information, etc.
3. Collaboration with Store owner:
Admin can coordinate with managers to streamline workflows.
4. Shop Products Browse:
Buyers may utilize the search feature as well as “filter by category” to browse through the catalog of items
5. Edit or add details to the product:
change the description of the product, add it to the catalog remove it from the catalog, and so on.
6. Inventory management:
Admins can manage and monitor the items that are enrolled.
7. Add to Cart/Wishlist:
Add items to your cart for checkout or to your wish list for purchase in the future.
8. Live Tracking:
This is to keep track of the status of courier services.
9. Order Tracking:
Complete review of tracking procedure and various milestones each delivery makes.
Customers will receive notifications via SMS and mail to track their orders’ status in real-time.
Notifications that provide customers and store managers with information regarding the order.
11. Pay Mode:
Users can pay using secure and safe payment gateways, such as Stripe.
12. The Payment Management System:
An overview of the payment status for each order.
13. Reviews and Ratings:
Customers can submit comments about the products they purchased as well as how they felt about the shopping
Users can modify or update their profile information anytime they want.
3. Finalize a Team
To develop an Online Grocery App that delivers on-demand an experienced team is needed to translate your idea into reality.
You should look for experts in the implementation of complicated custom features, outstanding UX/UI for greater user engagement, and constructing seamless web-based functions.
The core team of your company should consist of:
- Project Manager: it is responsible for analyzing and translating the requirements of the client to developers. He is primarily accountable for managing the timeline and overall deliverables for the project.
- Mobile App Development: To help with the primary creation of your app, seek out specialists with iOS or Android technology to develop a cross-functional application, and that runs across both platforms.
- Front-End Developers: for developing the user Interface design for this application.
- Backend Developers: To help with the development of plugins, smooth administration of databases, APIs, and various other backend features.
- QA Professional: validate the app’s functionality based on different quality checks and ensure that the necessary features and functions are in sync with one another.
4. Straight out Technology out of the Box
Here’s a way to distinguish yourself from the crowd in the marketplace. Beyond the traditional backend and front-end tech stacks incorporate smart algorithms into the application to provide an amazing user experience.
For instance, new technology like Artificial Intelligence can be used to analyze a customer’s purchasing patterns. It could help customers to fill their carts with the items they require on a monthly or weekly basis.
It is also possible to allow customers to arrange delivery according to an appropriate time frame. Paying attention to these particulars will help keep customers in mind and boost their loyalty to your company.
Additionally, make sure you choose the most appropriate tech stack to develop apps.
Technology Stack for iOS Apps:
- Programming languages like Objective-C, Swift
- Toolkit: Apple Xcode
- SDK: iOS SDK/p>
Technology Stack for Android Apps:
- Languages of programming: Java, Kotlin
- Toolkit: Android Studio & Android Developer Tools
- SDK: Android SDK Cross-Platform App Development Technology Stack
- Xamarin + C#
5. Additional Factors
To ensure you have a competitive edge on the market think about adding more helpful features to enhance your customers’ shopping experience.
Model of Development and Timeline
Choose if your team will use the iterative approach to development (waterfall approach) or the agile development model. This will impact directly the app’s durability along with Time To Market (TTL).
MVP Or Full Fledged Development
The minimum viable product (MVP) is created using the most essential features. Based on user feedback, additional features will be introduced to the application. Sometimes, features that are not needed are removed.
A fully-fledged app development means that all functions of the app are developed all at once. This could be risky and affect the company’s profitability should the app fail to succeed in the marketplace.
The aim is to build an application that is simple to use and loads quickly. Users won’t waste their time with an application that is very demanding to use.
A well-designed application will benefit your users and your business. Here’s how
What is your Online Grocery App able to do for your customers?
– Compare the costs of various items across different brands
– Explore a variety of brands from the same company.
– Hassle-free doorstep delivery
– Search for all categories of your groceries at one location
– Learn about the product’s description and ingredient lists at your leisure
– Exposition to more brands
– Avoid lengthy checkout lines
How can Online Grocery App benefit your company?
Wider audience reach
Let us build your Online Grocery App with Brisk Logic
A typical user spends 90 percent of their time using mobile apps. Profit from this to create an app that helps build brand recognition and build loyalty!
Are you seeking a trusted technology partner to take the performance of your online food business’s levels?
Brisk Logic‘s mobile app developers can create an application for a business that is market-ready within 5-7 weeks.
Contact us now