AR Vs VR Which Path Should You Choose?
Augmented Reality vs Virtual Reality: Developer’s Dilemma
Many software developers are currently battling virtual reality against augmented reality in real life.
These immersive and interactive technologies are constantly evolving. AR and VR are becoming more mainstream.
The question is:
Which choice is best?
It’s time for VR vs AR.
Virtual Reality: What is it?
Virtual reality (or virtual reality) is a type of computer technology that allows users to interact with 3D space in a simulated environment. VR hardware isolates the outside world and simulates human perceptions. It also provides haptic feedback to allow people to be immersed in an artificial environment.
VR has been a novelty in video games and movies for years. VR has become an integral part of many industries.
You can take the Volvo reality app for a test drive. Walmart uses a VR training application to help managers learn in a stress-free setting. VR games are another multi-billion-dollar market.
How to start developing in virtual reality
These are the four main areas you should explore when creating a VR project.
Prototype and design tools
Software Development Kits (SDKs), Platforms and Software Development Kits
1. VR Hardware
You will need to have a high-performance hardware capable of running complex computations and advanced graphics in order to develop VR.
A VR headset is a second requirement. There are many VR headsets on the market with different performance and prices. These are the top VR headsets to help you create an engaging and convincing virtual world.
Oculus Rift Oculus is undisputed leader in VR, and the Rift their crown jewel. Oculus Link is used to connect the headset to computers. The device uses hand tracking to provide a more immersive VR experience.
Oculus quest2 – An affordable alternative to the Rift. The Quest is first model to have six degrees of freedom (6DOF) by itself.
HTC Vive– This is Oculus’s rival, and boasts room-scale technology. You can move around and use motion-tracked handheld controls to interact with the 3D virtual world.
Valve Index – Index has a higher refresh rate and greater precision than Oculus or Vive, but the performance is not cheap.
HP Reverb G2 – The latest addition to the VR headset market, the Reverb G2 from HP is a performance-oriented product that offers the most value for money. An enterprise Omnicept edition can be purchased, which monitors your heartbeat and pupillary responses.
2. Prototype and design tools
While you can still use pen and paper for basic ideas, you should be able to work with digital tools if you are serious about creating them.
1. Sketch or Figma: Create user flows and interface screens using Sketch. This plug-in allows you to turn your Sketches into a 360-degree view.
2. Blender – Create custom 3D models for your game engine. Includes free online tutorials.
3. 3ds Max and maya – The industry’s gold standard. These are great for modeling, sculpting and animation. These tools can be expensive and require a lot of learning.
4. Cinema 4D – A user-friendly alternative for Maya that can be used by small groups and individual artists.
3. Game engines
The game engine is essential because it contains the necessary framework and software development kit (SDKs), required to create VR applications for a computer or mobile device.
These are the top contenders.
1. Unity – Unity is the king of VR engines and the preferred choice for 45% of developers. It supports all major VR formats and devices, including 3D Max and Cinema4D, using C# to create commands.
2. Unity’s closest competitor, Unreal Engine, supports all platforms including HoloLens 2, Magic Leap and iOS. Unreal uses C++, which is more complex but offers better visuals.
3. CryEngine – A free tool that creates amazing weather and water effects such as volumetric fog, ocean Physics, and full 3D cloud rendering. CryEngine supports Oculus VR, HTC Vive and OSVR, but it only uses C++.
Unreal Engine and Unity are the market leaders in game engines. They are almost neck-and-neck in practice. You can compare Unreal vs Unity to help you decide which one to choose.
4. Software Development Kits (SDKs), Platforms and Software Development Kits
An SDK plug-in is an extension that provides engine- or platform-specific content, assets, and design techniques to enhance the native VR experience.
What is Augmented Reality?
Augmented reality (AR) is a technology that alters the way we perceive the world in order to make it more interactive. AR does this by overlaying digital information on a real-world view.
It is best used for enterprise tooling. AR smart glasses can be used by workers in manufacturing to view text, stats and graphical representations as they work on a task.
VR is great for gaming but AR is what made Pokemon Go so popular. Forbes once called it the ‘world’s most important game’.
How to start developing in Augmented Reality
To develop AR experiences, there are several steps you need to take.
Unity is possible
Install development applications
1. AR Hardware
You’ll see that AR medium has significantly fewer options for development than virtual reality when you compare the hardware. Your mobile phone is powerful enough to run AR apps for mobile phones.
Are you a fan of the hugely successful Pokemon Go AR game? It was a huge success and everyone went wild when it was launched in 2016. The app can be recreated by you.
Many early XR developers begin developing for AR because most modern smartphones have the AR feature. Only two things are required: a smartphone’s camera, and one of the 3d game engines. Make your first AR app by creating an augmented version your T-shirt. This will help you overcome the fear of AR technology.
AR headsets are not available with an open SDK.
1. Microsoft HoloLens 2: A holographic computer with headset. You can use voice or hand gestures to interact holograms.
2. Google Glass 2: An enterprise tool built on Android that focuses primarily on the construction, medical and manufacturing markets.
3. Magic Leap, the original AR device that broke all barriers, has fallen from popularity over the years but is still in use today, especially in the enterprise solutions industry.
2. Unity is possible
Although Unreal and other game engines are available, Unity is the best choice for developers of augmented reality. It is the best choice for the medium. Unity also offers free documentation, tutorials and live training.
3. Install development applications
These applications are available before you start:
HoloLens Emulator: This allows you to run Windows Holographic with the HoloLens emulator. This will only work if Hyper-V is installed.
Visual Studio – A Integrated Development Environment that allows you to write code and use the HoloLens emulator. Or Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 or Visual Studio 2017 will not work properly.
These SDKs are available for AR development:
1. HoloToolkit – A collection of scripts, components and tools to help you develop your HoloLens project faster. For installation instructions and tips, see this GitHub guide.
2. Vuforia: Use this to create Holographic Applications that recognize objects in the surrounding environment.
3. ARKit – Apple tools that allow developers to create AR apps for iOS devices.
Circuit Stream’s Comparison Guide for Augmented Reality SDKs will provide more information.
Circuit Stream’s Comparison Guide for Augmented Reality SDKs will provide more information.
Augmented Reality vs Virtual Reality: Which one should you choose?
Developers have two unique options: Augmented reality or virtual reality. Augmented reality alters our perception of reality, while virtual reality transports us to a completely different world.
Augmented Reality is the best option for developers if you are looking to create apps or experiences for:
Construction, manufacturing, or design If you are looking to create a factory-oriented tool for workers, AR is the best choice.
Game-based Education – AR allows you to create a digital learning story and embed context-relevant information.
Retail People want to test things out when they shop for clothes and makeup. AR is already being used by furniture, beauty and clothing brands.
Virtual Reality is the best option for developers if you are looking to create apps or experiences for:
Computer games. VR may be the future. Its potential is undisputed, with VR game revenue worldwide reaching $22.9B in 2020. VR is the most popular gaming platform right now. It’s the best gaming experience.
Mental Health. VR can be used to create realistic simulations of situations that could pose psychological problems for some people. It may help with anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, paranoia, and other mental disorders.
Ecommerce Snap’s global report shows a significant increase in AR use for retail or e-commerce.
Augmented Reality vs Virtual Reality: There’s no way to lose
Although AR and VR have been slow to rise, they are now promising in many industries.
This is the right time to get involved. Start small to build your skills and knowledge with the software essentials and expand your developer portfolio.
You can’t lose when it comes to choosing between virtual reality and augmented reality.
Are you interested in XR Unity or learning more about AR and VR?
FEEL FREE TO DROP US A LINE.