Best Saas Testing Challenges Tools for startup
- What is SaaS?
- What is SaaS Testing?
- SaaS Testing vs Traditional:
- Steps for SaaS Implementation and Best Practices
- Understanding the various steps that are involved in the SaaS development lifecycle in short:
- Below are the phases and a brief description:
- Understanding the Focus of SaaS Testing Methodology
- SaaS Application Testing Challenges
- SaaS Platform Testing Best Practices
- SaaS Testing Tools
What is SaaS?
Known by the term Software as A Service and accessible to customers via the Internet, SaaS helps organizations skip the burden of installing and running software on computers. This, this in turn reduces the costs of hardware purchase and maintenance, installation and support costs.
What is SaaS Testing?
As the technology of Cloud Computing concept in industries as well as research communities, SaaS platforms also acquired an important position by offering numerous cloud-based services. Following developing the software, SaaS application testing comes into play. The entire length of the testing phase is decided upon based on the kind of software selected to provide the service.
Furthermore, to put it in terms of a definition, SaaS platform testing is described as the process to ensure the quality of software through various validation procedures.
These involve testing performance, security, data integration, scalability, reliability, etc. Cisco Web-Ex and Google Apps among others are some of the most well-known cases of SaaS applications that are easily accessible via the internet and don’t require installation.
In the current competitive market, businesses are constantly shifting towards cloud and software-based delivery using SaaS models. The advantages it offers such as “on-demand service” and “pay per usage” are the main reasons for it.
Below are additional reasons to consider SaaS App testing
- Increased reliability, scalability and availability
- Reduced cost of software installation and maintenance
- Simple fault repair
- The software is quickly deployed with greater accessibility
- Pay per use
- Continuously testing upgrades when it comes to the adding new tenants
- Dependencies on internal systems are cut to numerous levels
- The ability to scale resources in a flexible way and pricing
SaaS applications are updated and upgraded (new releases) quickly and are accessible to customers.
In the previous discussion, it is realized that SaaS testing is the process of confirming SaaS applications about various elements, including the security of compatibility and security as well as performance. SaaS testing is thought to be the most efficient and most efficient product however, it does require an extensive amount of quality assurance in a variety of stages.
SaaS Testing vs Traditional:
While SaaS testing is a type of testing that has a couple of similarities with traditional tests, SaaS tests are regarded as harder to do than standard testing.
Let’s consider some arguments to support this assertion:
- The products are shipped at a much faster pace and ‘Quality Assurance’ is a concern.
- It requires extensive knowledge of the business and industry to handle both the configurable and non-configurable elements of SaaS applications.
- SaaS testers for applications undergo extensive tests to ensure that users benefit from all the advantages of these applications.
- The test environment needs to be able to deploy and execute the test automatically and verification of your application
- SaaS testing has also advantages over traditional tests, including:
- The cost of maintenance and upgrades of the application is less
- The risk is lower Therefore, there is more attention paid to the implementation of new and innovative concepts.
- Pay per use.
- It is accessible via the internet without software installation.
Steps for SaaS Implementation and Best Practices
Once we have mastered the fundamentals of SaaS We can move on and learn about its development lifecycle. Before that, you have to be aware of the important factors that should be taken into consideration. These are steps necessary for the implementation of SaaS.
The following list can help you get more of an idea:
- It is essential to have an understanding of the reasons for choosing SaaS implementation for a business.
- An understanding of the company’s needs is essential and so is identifying the goals early on in the stage to ensure more effective results.
- Develop steps and procedures ahead of time to meet the business requirements and the motivations to implement SaaS.
- The team that is involved in this project should comprise specialists with an in-depth understanding of the SaaS concept and an understanding of best practices in the industry. To get the most effective results, each team member must be proficient in several technologies.
- The team should also include an IT specialist to avoid the possibility of a lack of support and documentation during the time of providing software services.
- The provisions in the Service Level Agreement should be fully understood before signing any contract.
- As the infrastructure is constructed it is important to keep a few key aspects in mind, such as the scalability, security and bandwidth of your network, backup and recovery, for instance.
- The planning for disaster recovery must be carried out to ensure that it doesn’t become the reason behind the cessation of the application.
Understanding the various steps that are involved in the SaaS development lifecycle in short:
In the majority of cases, Agile development methodology is utilized, however, it is dependent on the specific requirements that the client has. In the image, there are six stages during the SaaS development life-cycle.
Below are the phases and a brief description:
The business requirements and potential opportunities are described through different market studies.
- Platform Evaluation Phase is a way to ensure the proper testing and effective implementation of planned features like security, performance and scalability and disaster recovery, among others.
- The Planning Phase is the formalisation of all information collected like the project schedule and specifications, staff, etc. in the specification for technical aspects that developers require.
- Subscribing Phase crucial choices, such as the pricing, architecture and a disaster recovery strategy are made to ensure the highest uptime for the services.
- As the name implies the development environment is constructed, with a variety of types of testing. SaaS applications are designed to work under high loads, and SaaS testing of performance and load play a significant role.
- Operations Phase services are implemented during this phase. But, frequent updates and safety checks are needed for the application to improve the user experience and minimize problems with support.
- The previous explanation provided the basic idea of the SaaS process of development. The reality is that different projects use different approaches and be different in their development lifecycle.
Understanding the Focus of SaaS Testing Methodology
SaaS testing is always at the lead and employs methods that guarantee that the software developed on this model works in the way you expect it to.
Infrastructure, Applications networks, and Applications are the primary elements that comprise SaaS testing. There are a variety of crucial areas on which SaaS testing is focused on.
Below are a few of them:
- Black and White boxes. black test of boxes as a component of component testing.
- Functional testing is a method to verify whether the application functions according to the requirements.
- Integrity testing is conducted to test the compatibility of the SaaS system with other systems.
- Conduct exploratory testing on the new test cases.
- Examine the network’s security and integrity, security threats and accessibility as part of the infrastructure and security testing.
- Check the quality of SaaS connectivity and check the user interface about the ability to transfer and compatibility.
- Any release, upgrade and data transfer in an application must be done in a way that is safe regression testing.
- Testing for reliability is conducted to minimize the risk of failure in real-time deployment
- Every test that is possible is conducted to make sure that the secureness of our network
- Since SaaS applications are likely to carry a significant load tests for performance and scalability are essential to test the app’s performance under high load, in a variety of different environments
- The compatibility of the application used on different browsers by different users is a matter to be evaluated
- If new features are introduced or older features are updated Continuous upgrade testing is essential for SaaS applications
- API tests are conducted to verify the fullness, security, functionality and accuracy of documentation
- Questions about customer service, payment and billing are handled in the context of operational testing.
- With more advanced applications come greater issues. Since the Saas system is directly accessed by the user online, safety issues are the main cause for concern. Despite this that many companies are now adopting the SaaS application due to its advantages.
SaaS Application Testing Challenges
The challenges could vary based on the kind of project, here are the most common issues encountered during SaaS test of applications:
- Releases and upgrades that occur frequently in an extremely short period give less time to examine the security and validity of the application.
- Sometimes, components in the back end that are linked to an application’s user interface have to be tested.
- With various user behaviours simultaneously it is a complicated task to ensure the protection of privacy and prevent the transfer of data from customers.
- We’ve discussed the reasons why tests of performance are essential in the SaaS application, However, the main issue and difficulty in this area is to determine the most frequently visited areas and then test them using many users from various locations.
- During the process of transition and integration of SaaS applications it becomes extremely challenging to protect the integrity and privacy of test data.
- Each time a new release is announced, SaaS testers need to test every aspect of the licensing such as usage, amount of users and the functionality of the application
- There is no standardization in the use of this application.
- To get over these hurdles To overcome these challenges, the following steps should be followed. While these programs can be different based on the specific requirements that the task has, we’ll take an overview of some of them
- Automate your scripts to address the frequent updates issues.
- Based on the observations and analysis, identify the parts in the app that get used frequently. This will assist to improve performance testing when there is a limit in time.
- To ensure the security of data in the SaaS application Strong encryption is advised during the integration phase.
- SaaS applications are growing in popularity every day and SaaS testing is known for its the highest quality applications.
SaaS Platform Testing Best Practices
After gaining an understanding of the issues. Let’s look at the most effective methods for testing a SaaS-based application:
- Increase SaaS testing by observing different organizational patterns.
- Utilize a powerful application for hardware to detect the effectiveness of the application using other resources.
- You must ensure that you have complete access to the requirements for testing to test SaaS applications.
- Time-to-time Test the effectiveness of the application by increasing the workload and creating concurrent users across multiple environments.
- It is recommended to make an examination plan ahead of time following the requirements for testing specifications.
- Make sure you are aware of security concerns frequently, particularly when you are integrating and migrating.
- In comparison to traditional techniques, SaaS models get less time to complete comprehensive testing techniques. This means that a number of the testing aspects are removed in comparison to traditional approaches. The best method to incorporate this is to use flexible methods and make use of all the automated testing tools.
SaaS Testing Tools
Beyond the essential aspects of testing such as functional, performance, and test units, SaaS test methods contain some considerations related to your security software.
Let’s look at SaaS test tools, in short:
This tool for testing is created to offer an all-inclusive test solution and also allow users to manage the development and testing process. The major characteristics of this tool are listed below:
- Facilitates communication with companies at different levels.
- Offers methods to manage their project, its testing procedures and other details.
- Provides status of the project at any time.
- Controls the appropriate communication with other participants.
This is a cloud-based testing management tool that is used by companies for simple communication and flexible test management solutions. The key characteristics of this test tool are:
- It is simple to master and aid teams in different locations to coordinate.
- It is possible to add notes, notes and create a detailed defect sheet.
- A free trial is available as an easy-to-share option.
- This software allows you to make a good plan as well as manage the project schedule as well as test case documentation defects sheets, test cases and test results.
- This program has a great dashboard that shows the progress of your project, as well as queries and reports that are useful.
This tool serves as an interface that links project requirements with its tests and defects. This allows for a complete report on the progress of the project as well as ensuring traceability.
A few of its characteristics are listed below:
- If requirements are changing from time to time, the tool offers flexibility to utilize older test cases.
- Test results and the status of test cases are recorded during the test case’s execution.
- The execution page allows you to modify the test cases in real-time should you require it.
- It also helps to manage defects via an interface. The previous issues logged concerning specific test cases will be easily identified. This prevents repeating the same defect log.
- This is just an overview of the tools. There are many features in each tool, which will become more apparent as you master each tool.
This article covers almost all the aspects you should be aware of concerning SaaS testing. As cloud technology has advanced, testing, individuals have gained knowledge of different aspects of this testing, as well as its challenges. Contact Brisk Logic for more update.