How to Improve the Quality of Online Exams via AI?
The increasing dependency on technology to facilitate hassle-free examinations will not be due to AI sharing the human burden, but because it eliminates errors. Artificial intelligence is rapidly replacing manual proctored examinations with computer-based assessments via online examination software.
Imagine technology tracking a student’s performance using his participation and grades. This makes it easy to conduct assessments.
This article will explain how artificial intelligence can improve online examinations.
Let’s first understand what artificial intelligence is and how it relates to online examination software.
Artificial intelligence is based on deep learning algorithms and neural network technology. This allows machines to learn from their experience and perform human-like tasks. Online examination software allows assessment agencies to conduct evaluations using the internet.
Universities are now using online exam-taking systems with artificial intelligence (AI) instead of spending a lot on their budget. This allows them to conduct stress-free assessments. Artificial intelligence can adapt to the learning styles and grasping abilities of each student and find their strengths and weaknesses.
Are these the challenges that your institution or organization faces in administering exams?
- Marking complex, open-ended questions
- Timely delivery of results
- Enhancing teaching and learning outcomes
- Cheating and fraud detection
If the answer is ‘yes’ to any of the above, then it’s time for Artificial Intelligence (AI), to mark exam administration.
AI and Machine Learning are not just buzzwords in technology. They are transforming many industries, including education. MarketWatch predicts that between 2018-2025, AI will grow in education in Asia-Pacific countries such as South Korea, China, and India. Why? The region is seeing an increase in government initiatives that support digitization, automation and the adoption of cloud-based services.
AI is the best option if you want to improve student and teacher outcomes while scaling exam administration and marking.
Here are some ways it works:
Online teaching and assessment can be transformed:
This is allowing for increased online marking and the use of emerging technologies like AI for grading. Students take A-level exams in the UK and their handwritten answers can be scanned, segmented, and sent to online marking examiners. This results in safe delivery, fast marking, and real-time monitoring of quality assurance and grading.
It is currently being evaluated at the college level. This AI-based grading software is currently being tested at the college level. It can do more than basic scanning. It can perform more complex assessments such as marking answers for open-ended questions that test students’ cognitive abilities.
Automation can reduce the time it takes to grade
Automated grading is a time-saver that can significantly reduce the workload of assessors and cut down on turnaround times. This is particularly useful for assessors and examiners who are not in high demand. Universities and colleges can now use AI-based Chatbots and Natural Language Processing to run real-time surveys and tests at various locations. Gradescope, an alternative AI grading tool, was created at UC Berkeley to reduce the time it takes for teaching assistants to grade papers. It is used to assess online tests. The software has evaluated 10 million answers to 100,000 questions from a variety of curricula.
Enhance student and teacher performance
Digital India, Startup India, and Make in India are all Government of India programs that explore the potential for AI and ML in education. OLABS, which is funded by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, is designed to provide AI tutoring and teaching assistants to students. These technologies, along with living chatbots, help teachers and graders improve the feedback loop. You can collect real-time data and filter it according to student profiles. This allows you to make important changes to the assessment process.
Reduce fraud and cheating
Exam boards face many challenges when conducting high-stake exams. These include impersonation and the use of hidden cameras. AI can reduce fraud by taking images of students at examination halls and verifying their identities against scanned documents. Webcams are used to monitor multiple locations for plagiarism and can detect plagiarism. AI-based algorithms can verify keystroke signatures even by evaluating keyboard speed and pressure. It doesn’t end there. You can also make different question papers for different locations. They can randomly assign questions and change numerical variables in subjects such as finance or maths to discourage theft or advance circulation.
AI can help educators and corporations conduct large-scale assessments more efficiently by embracing it. It offers many advantages, including faster turnaround, higher accuracy, and scalability. This can lead to improved outcomes for both test-takers and testing bodies.
Tutoring After Introducing Al
Students can get more personalized tutoring after Al introduces them. They are not necessarily to be replaced, but they can perform better by offering alternatives. Personalize the recommendations for each pupil. Al also customizes assignments for in-class classes.
Final exams are designed to ensure students receive the best possible support. Research This shows that tutoring success is dependent on instant feedback. Teachers can use flashcards and smart study guides to condense their lessons. They will also teach students to count the difficulties they will face while studying class materials. It is not possible College students have had the opportunity to interact with more people than ever before professors. Due to Al, smart tutoring systems, like Carnegie Learning, offer quick feedback.
Trends in Artificial Intelligence for Online Exams
- Technology is a dominant force in our lives. Technology has influenced our daily lives, from setting an alarm on our phones to ordering lunch online (which can track our activity and know what we like), to booking a taxi to get home.
- Technology has made our lives more convenient, quicker and more enjoyable. Many people have a natural instinct to reach for their phones or the internet to answer questions. Why not use technology to solve the problems associated with conducting exams and make it more simple?
- Online exams are becoming more popular in recent years. They offer many benefits.
- Online exams have many benefits. They are protected from fraud and can be defended with checks and balances. Online exams will not be affected by human error as traditional offline exams can be prone to human mistakes.
- Traditional pen-paper-based exams require a lot of coordination and manual labour. This can be tedious and prone to human error at various stages. Exams have become tedious due to the increasing number of educational institutions, schools, and students.
- Online examinations offer a great alternative to traditional offline exams. The technology offers multiple solutions to the problems that traditional exams have to face today.
- Online examinations are possible from multiple locations without printing out question papers. The system allows you to upload the question paper and store it in a digital format.
- It is also easy to set question papers using the online examination system. The online examination system allows subject matter experts to create a question bank that can be classified by topic, sub-topic, difficulty, and mark. The system will then create multiple sets of question papers, and the exam moderator may choose one of them for the examination.
- The evaluation of answer sheets can also be done online, making it very easy to use the online examination system. Subjective examinations can be evaluated by logging in to the online system.
How does AI improve Online Examination?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) are the future crown jewels in technology. Artificial Intelligence is seamlessly integrated into our everyday lives. While 79% of consumers use AI-powered devices, 30% of consumers are aware that they use an AI-powered device.
AI is also changing the way we conduct online exams. It is making them safer and more organized.
These are just a few of the ways that AI can be used to run online exams.
Institutes resisted conducting offline exams as they were considered insecure and susceptible to malpractices such as impersonation or copying.
Remote proctoring can solve the problems of many institutes. A proctor is an individual who is authorized to supervise the examination process. Remote proctors can supervise the examination from anywhere.
Remote proctoring makes online exams extremely secure thanks to voice and facial recognition technologies. Only if facial recognition is used to verify the identity of the candidate, the candidate can appear for the exam.
After the examination starts, the audio and/or video feeds of students are recorded and sent to a remote proctor.
- AI features cutting-edge facial recognition thanks to the hard work of engineers and neuroscientists. Colleges use computerized auto-proctoring systems that rely on facial recognition to ensure that students are not unfairly qualified for a test.
- For a long time, specialists have been studying voice recognition in order to understand human speech. A sound-enabled auto proctor can recognize audio for authentication and match it to background noise. This eliminates cheating instances and provides a visual representation of speech patterns.
- Auto-proctoring systems are powered by voice and facial recognition technology, so they can moderate exams easily without human intervention.
Voice Recognition and Onscreen Marking System Recognition for Remote Proctoring
- Remote proctoring allows students to take online exams without having to travel to an exam centre. Online exams are popular because they offer convenience and accessibility.
- Online assessment tools are also available to simplify exam answer sheet evaluation. Manually evaluating answer sheets is tedious and time-consuming. It is also very error-prone.
- Result processing is difficult when there are thousands of answer sheets being evaluated by multiple examiners. The result must be updated in order to generate a mark sheet.
- The Onscreen Marking system can be used to help simplify the evaluation process. The digital system can scan answer sheets and upload them to them. Answer sheets can be accessed from anywhere by examiners.
- You can access a quick online database with all the answer sheets, and you have a backup using the Onscreen Marking System.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) are now being used in online tests. Online tests are now more secure thanks to facial recognition and voice recognition. Some facial recognition systems are even better than humans at recognizing faces!
Many professors and students have found that AI-powered online testing systems have made their jobs much easier. Teachers have benefited from the reduction in the time and effort required to conduct and organize exams. They’ve also benefited from the input provided by internet testing tools.
FEEL FREE TO DROP US A LINE.